Heat is an ingredient!
And just as you carefully measure how much flour, salt, water and other ingredients you need before you add them to a recipe, you should always accurately measure how much heat you are adding to ingredients for consistent results every time! So tell your friends about this page. Just tell them to go to heatisaningredient.com.
Learning to use thermometers...
ThermoWorks is proud to partner with the Home Baking Association and Family and Consumer Sciences Teachers around the country to educate our students about the importance of proper temperature measurement ensuring...
- Food safety!!
- Excellence in food preparation
- Proper food doneness
- Proper recipe documentation
- Repeatability of processes
Use this webpage to access...
- The top-rated pocket thermometer, the ThermoWorks ThermoPop®
- Educational materials for students about critical baking temperatures
- Even lesson plans and handouts!
$15.00 (plus shipping)
The ThermoWorks ThermoPop is the top-rated pocket thermometer for home and professional kitchens alike. Start accurately measuring how much heat you're adding to recipes so you can achieve the same food-safe results every time...
- 4.8 out of 5 stars with over 2,300 Ratings
- Fast: Readings in just 3 to 4 seconds
- Guaranteed Accurate: ±2°F
- Durable and Splash-proof: IP66 Rating
- Easy to Read: Huge Backlit Display
- Fun Design: Grip with Either Hand
- 4.5” Probe: Keep Your Hand Away from the Heat
- Designed in Utah by ThermoWorks
To get your very own ThermoPop pocket digital thermometer, complete the following steps...
- Click the Buy Now button to the left to go the ThermoPop product page
- Select your color and click the Add to Cart button
- In the cart/checkout enter BAKINGEDU in the Coupon Code box
- Complete your checkout by entering your address and purchase information
Download this amazing flyer for your class!
Click the image below to download our "Heat is an ingredient!" PDF flyer for the students in your class. It contains ingredient and process temperatures critical to successful baking plus information about the award-winning ThermoPop...
Are you a Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher in the United States?
If so, you may qualify for a FREE sample of the award-winning ThermoPop instant-read thermometer referenced on this page shipped to you at no charge. Call Wes Gilger on the ThermoWorks Commercial Sales Team at 1-800-393-6434 for more information.
Explore these baking temperature lesson ideas...
Blueberry Mug Muffins
This tried and true Baking Food Safety Lesson Plan (click to download) prepared by Sharon Davis lets students use their thermometers to explore the relationship of heat to doneness by baking mug muffins in the microwave oven. Students will learn how to ensure food safety by...
- Properly preparing their hands and work surface
- Properly preparing and mixing their ingredients
- Understanding the risks of raw ingredients
- Reading a temperature chart to find a target doneness temp
- Properly measuring an actual doneness temperature
- And more...
Desired Dough Temperature
This step-by-step article by Barb Alpern of King Arthur Baking (click to access) demonstrates for students the dramatic impact water temperatures for blooming yeast can have on the finished loaf.
Try three different water temperatures for three different batches of basic sandwich bread yeast and see how both proofing and finished baking are affected. Students will also learn how to calculate the perfect water temperature based on the actual conditions including...
- the room temperature
- the flour temperature
- the friction factor of their mixer
TAKE IT FROM THE EXPERTS
Cook’s Illustrated/America’s Test Kitchen calls ThermoPop “dead accurate and extremely fast” that “makes the best of its size with a grippy, ergonomic design that’s reasonably secure and easy to push and pull out of dense foods.” They awarded it...
Kenji Lopez-Alt from SeriousEats.com writes, “This has been my favorite inexpensive thermometer since it was introduced a couple of years ago. It was the new standard then, and it remains the best-in-class now.” Awarded...